Jan Mandelemail: firstname.lastname@example.org When asked by collectors what I would like them to realize from my work, my response is quite simple………to think outside the box!
Most of the jewellery that I create can function, as both sculptural and wearable objects. These pieces derive their identity from process, rather than narrative. Asymmetric, gold wire structures that defy their fragile appearance, evoke mass where there is none, relying on the viewers eye to visualize the unseen. Sometimes minimalist, other times obsessive in detail, many of these pieces transform, engaging the wearer in repositioning various components…..facilitating the creation of new designs to suit their need and mood of the moment.
Due to their sculptural aesthetic when not worn, these jewels can be displayed on both wall, or pedestal.
All work is one-of-a-kind.
Born in the United States, I currently reside here, but exhibit and work in both the US, and London. Educated stateside, I have a BFA in clothing design, from Moore College of Art & Design 1969; and an MFA in Metals, from the University of Washington, School of Art (Seattle, Washington 1999.)
- The Smithsonian American Art Museum – RENWICK GALLERY
|Selected shows include:|
- TIARAS – PAST AND PRESENT, Victoria and Albert Museum – London, UK
- JEWELS AND GEMS, Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian American Art Museum
- THE ART OF GOLD, a traveling museum exhibition throughout the UK
- NOUVELLE NUPTIALS, at the San Francisco Museum of Craft and Design, CA.
- TWO CAPITALS, Moscow Museum of Craft and Applied Arts, Russia
- READY TO WEAR, at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center, US
- WEDDING RITUALS, a traveling exhibition, at Tong In Gallery, Seoul, Korea
Selected galleries include:
- Lesley Craze Gallery – London, UK
- Aaron Faber Gallery – NYC, NY
- Sculpture to Wear – Santa Monica, California
- 500 GEMS Lark Books
- TIARAS: PAST AND PRESENT V & A Publications
- 500 WEDDING RINGS Lark Books
- 500 NECKLACES Lark Books
- 500 BRACELETS Lark Books
- THE ART OF JEWELRY: Paper Jewelry Lark Books
- ART JEWELRY TODAY Schiffer
- VIRTUAL GALLERY OF CONTEMPORARY JEWELLERY UK
Portfolio[Not a valid template]